Thursday, August 6, 2015

Getting To Know You Activities for the First Week of School

Hi!  This is Jaymie from First Grade Centers and More.  The first week of school is always a great time for some fun get to know you activities.  Today I would like to share a couple of ideas and freebies with you!

get to know you activities
Those first few days can be LONG for Firsties!  They definitely need some time to be active. Find Some Who is a great activity to get kids acquainted with each other and to get them up and moving! I have always had trouble finding one that is "Just Right" for the beginning of first grade.  So, I decided to make one this year.  I love that it is so visual for beginning Firsties!  Students simply walk around the room, visiting with each other, and finding a different person who fits each category.  Then they sign each other's papers in that spot.  It also helps students to get to know each other's names. 

The first week is also a great time for us to get to know our students as learners; to find out about their strengths and areas where they are not yet as confident.  An attitude survey is a great tool to use to get to know our students better.  I recommend doing this activity early in the day (not the first day!), when the students are fresh and ready to think!  
get to know you activities

Students simply fill in the circles with how they feel about each activity; happy, okay, or sad. I always have students put up their "Secret Agent Folders" while they do this activity, and explain I want them to be very honest with me, that I don't care what their answer is...it will just help me to get to know them better.

This data can help me to begin building students confidence as learners.  It can also help identify students who struggle with making friendships, so I can try to assist in this area.  It also a great idea to repeat the attitude survey at the end of the year, so students can see if they have grown or changed.

I hope this gave you some ideas for getting to know your students the first week of school.  If you would like a free copy, click on the picture below to head over to my TPT Store.



Have an amazing first week!










Don't forget to enter the iTeach Blogs giant giveaway!  I LOVE the adorable owl cover!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment